Signs of a Malfunctioning Furnace
Here’s our list of things you should look out for if your furnace is acting up. Note that some of these issues are more serious than others, but it is possible to have one problem be a symptom of another, so we can’t recommend enough having a professional open your system up and really see what’s going on. Just remember the symptom can be from a larger “illness” of your home comfort system.
- Age. A furnace is only supposed to last 15 years and more with proper annual maintenance. While an old furnace is not a problem in and of itself, it could be the reason behind other problems you’ve been experiencing. If your system is 20+ years old, consider replacing it.
- Producing Cold Air. Either a blower fan malfunction or something worse, this can be a huge signal that your furnace is failing. A furnace usually will fail on the coldest night of the year, when you need it the most!
- Noises.We’re not just talking about small humming or your standard furnace noises. We’re talking about crazy screeches and pops, or other loud noises that can be rather shocking. This could mean that a part is possibly loose in your furnace that is endangering the other more delicate inner components of the system.
- High Energy Bills. Higher energy bills usually mean that your heater is losing efficiency. If you notice this trend, consider replacing your system to save money on your energy bills.
- Yellow Pilot Light. This is an important point. A yellow pilot light in your gas furnace could mean a nasty carbon monoxide leak. The pilot flame should always be blue. Contact a technician as soon as possible if you notice this problem.
- Built-Up Dust and Debris. Dust can be a signal that your system needs an air filter change (which you should be doing regularly), as well as some air duct cleaning. Not only that, but you could have other problems causing your air ducts to leak and airflow to be blocked.
None of these problems are good and they all need to be addressed by a professional HVAC technician.
Like anything mechanical, furnaces don’t last forever. But we will leave the “repair or replace” decision to you! There are plenty of options to consider from if you’re in the market for a new, more efficient, heating system. So if you see any of these telltale signs….call us today at 303-442-6640.
So, don’t let the weather get you down….Call Meyers Heating & AC!